Chocolate Pumpkin Bread Pudding with warm Rum Sauce
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 15-ounce can of pure pumpkin
1 cup (packed) plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 large whole eggs
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 cups 1/2-inch cubes of egg bread or white bread (about
1/2 cup 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons dark rum
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla extract and salt in large bowl to blend. Fold in bread cubes. Stir in chocolate chips. Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch glass baking dish. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Bake pumpkin bread pudding until it is firm to the touch, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding and serve warm with rum sauce.
1. Stir brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until dissolved and smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add cream, rum, and cinnamon and bring to simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 6 minutes.
3. Serve warm. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead: cover and refrigerate. Re-heat before
For those of you who are looking for a new twist to your Thanksgiving dessert, this is a perfect option.
Combining pumpkin and spices is the most comforting warm dessert.