Sunday, December 20, 2009

December 21st-Gluten Free Treat


















This Sunday morning started with watching birds at the feeder while water in the kettle came to a boil. Later, moving a bit faster, I started answering emails on my Mac. After catching up on emails, I moved into my creative culinary realm, the kitchen. Walnut, oat bran, and blueberry (organic berries we picked in August) pancakes were prepared for Prince Charming and I. Sweet potato hash browns are a staple with morning pancakes in our home. Of course, these get topped with Vermont's liquid gold: Maple Syrup.

Gluten free and wheat free has been requested of me more than a few times lately. I know this isn't a true cookie but a delicious, sweet treat it is. They're easy to prepare and semi healthy. I used bittersweet chocolate because I love dark chocolate. If you like extremely sweet desserts you might choose to use sweetened coconut but as you may have noticed my recipes call for reduced sugar (most recipes use much more). Maple sugar is very easy to find in Vermont. If you can not find maple sugar where you live, you can order it at Morse Maple Farm.

Enjoy!

















Coconut Maple Haystacks

8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons maple sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Arrange 1 1/2 inch paper candy cups on a baking tray. Melt chocolate in a large bowl over a pan of hot water. Stir occasionally just until smooth (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup coconut, maple sugar, and pecans. Using a 1 inch scoop. Scoop into paper cups. Sprinkle with coconut. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to two weeks

No comments: