Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sweet Clover Market

Attention Vermonters-
Not sure what to do with that defrosted chicken? This Friday, February 5th, I will be at your service at Sweet Clover Market in Essex, VT. The friendly Market is my personal favorite place to purchase local and organic foods. You will find me wandering the store offering personalized culinary advice! If you are craving some culinary guidance for your next meal or hors d'oeuvre party, come out and chat with me this Friday 3:30-4:30. My Mac Book and I will be ready to email you the recipes you need. I have easy Super Bowl Sunday one bite ideas for all tastes. Prince Charming and I love my Bacon & Cider Beef Sliders (see my 2009 Super Bowl blog post). We definitely will be making it again this year. Hey there's nothing wrong with a good thing! You will continue to find me at Sweet Clover once or twice a month on Fridays 3:30-4:30. Stay tuned to my blog and twitter page to find out about future dates.

Last night I headed out for food & wine at the Bearded Frog. Then Prince Charming and I went to see the 'Prairie Home Companion' showing at the Palace Nine. So fun. Thanks Edward Lieb for the tickets, we loved the show!

See you in your kitchen.

Bacon and Cider Beef Sliders

4 pounds beef brisket

3 garlic cloves, slivered

3 garlic cloves, crushed

1-cup apple cider vinegar

10 oz. Vermont maple smoked bacon, diced

2 medium onions, sliced thin

1-cup strong brew coffee

2 Tablespoons tomato paste

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ cup grade B maple syrup

1 tablespoon sea salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoons dried oregano

20 rolls or small buns


Prepare brisket by cutting small slits all over the brisket. Insert garlic slivers into the cuts in the brisket. Pour cider vinegar over the brisket and rub it with crushed garlic.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add bacon to a preheated cast iron pan with a tight fitting lid and cook at med/low heat until bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon but leave the fat in the pan.

Heat the skillet with the bacon fat to med/high heat. Once hot, pat the brisket dry with a paper towel. Add the brisket to the pan and brown both sides (approximately 3 minutes on each side)

Remove brisket and set aside.

Decrease the heat to medium and add the onions and cook until deep brown.

Return brisket to the pan.

Combine coffee, tomato paste, cayenne, maple syrup, salt, pepper and oregano and pour over the brisket. Cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Decrease the heat to 250 degrees and cook for an additional 3 ½ -4 hours until meat is tender.

Let rest for 20 minutes, carve and garnish with crisp bacon. Make sliders and save sauce on the side to dip! Yum.


1 comment:

Missy B said...

OK - I just printed out this recipe. Gonna try it out - or have hubby try it out. Will let you know how it goes. :)
Missy B.