Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Favorite Cookbooks and My New Store


Check out my new store. Click here. You may also find a link to my store at chefcontos.com. On a regular basis I receive many questions about what books I like and what pots and pans I recommend etc. Now you can shop with my recommendations and guidance.


Every Wednesday for seven years I hunt down a New York Times and read the food section. I have had many funny moments doing this, like recently when I asked the shopkeeper if she had anymore Wednesday NYT because all I see is Tuesdays. She looked at me and said "today is Tuesday". Opps.
I try and never miss but sometimes I'm early.

We all like to read and if you are like me you have to much to read. We have our magazine subscriptions, newspapers, and books to name a few. I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite cookbooks, magazines, and books.
Daily Online Reading :
Mark Bittman's new slog (yes he calls it a slog)  http://markbittman.com/

Cookbooks are divine! I will always have them and continue to collect. I have over 275 and do try to cook new recipes from them weekly.
Favorites:
Baking with Julia signed by the lady herself
New World Cuisine by Norman Van Aken
Joy of Cooking old and new

Most used (lately): 
Foods to Live: The Earthbound Organic Farm Cookbook By Myra Goodman
Market Vegetarian by Ross Dobson
Cooking for a Crowd, Ina Gardner
Parathenon Restaurant (although be careful of the recipes. I use this book just as a guide)

Favorite Culinary Reads:
Cooking for Mister Latte by Amanda Hesser
The best of Food Writing, all years
Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbra Kingsolver

Currently Reading:
Setting the Table by Danny Meyer
The Town That Food Saved by Ben Hweitt

Favorite Magazine that I actually read and cook from:
Eating Well

Cookbooks that are on my list to buy and read:
The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to Natural Farming by Masanobu Fukuoka
Zuni Cafe
The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook
The Bakers Apprentice (best focaccia recipe ever!)
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (because this is more than bean cooking)
Gourmet Cookbook (because Ruth Reichl rocks)
The Cuisines of Spain by Teresa Barrenechea

Check out my new store. Click here

No comments: