Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Potato Season


We never do know what tomorrow will bring. One day I am teaching a cooking class in my home for a group of friends and the next I am in Johnson, Vermont for the filming of a Gourmet Butchering Video, that I am co-hosting with a butcher friend (more details to come). Also new to my fun ever-changing day to day life, is the planning of a localvore dinner at Murray's Tavern in Essex Junction scheduled for September 13th (more details to come).


My garden took another huge leap this year with an expansion. Added to the garden is a lovely strawberry patch, deluxe herb garden, new vegetable varieties (tomatillo's and brussels sprouts!), and about thirty five potato plants.





Harvesting potatoes for the first time was surprisingly rewarding and fun, seeing I had no idea what I was doing and not a clue on how far into my hills the potatoes were. But I managed to figure it out and ended up with a great selection and enough for dinner. This weekend I will pull up, hopefully, all of the potatoes in the garden and get another crop in for fall. The three varieties of potatoes tasted great, I cooked them very simply over a bed of fresh rosemary, drizzled with one of my favorite olive oils , sliced onion, and tossed with lots of coarse French sea salt. Baked in a 425 degree oven until golden. The final dish was served at a romantic dinner for Prince Charming and I. On the plate was seared Jericho Settlers Beef tenderloin topped with mushroom duxelle, sauce Robert, roasted potatoes, garden beans and carrots that I blanched then sautéed with olive oil and lemon juice.


Happy breezy summer days to you! Don't forget to make the iced tea. Fill your pitcher with cold water add two-three tea bags (green, berry, or lemon ginger teas are my favorite), and honey if desired. Put the pitcher in the refrigerator overnight and the next day you are ready to cool off with a refreshing glass of iced tea. 
Cheers,
Courtney

For more Edible Moments visit my Facebook Page.

No comments: