Monday, May 23, 2011

Wild Edible Makes Perfect Pate Garnish

Rain does't keep me or Prince Charming inside, as a matter of fact we enjoy it. Understandably people want to take cover but I enjoy the outside world so much that some falling water doesn't hunker me down. Planting in the rain is one of my favorite times to plant, the ground is already wet and then nature takes care of watering the seeds or starts. Rainy day clouds also help ease the plant starts into there new
home. On a recent foraging adventure to our secret ramp location, nestled in the woods on family property, we filled our five gallon bucket in no time. A gentle stream of rain was falling as we walked, armed with mud boots, waterproof jackets, trowels, and gloves. The sweet smell of spring woods was soul feeding but the onion smell in the car on the way home was making me wish we'd brought the pickup. Once home, the usual cleaning of the ramps happened (Thank you Prince Charming) and then they ended up on the butch block counter. My culinary mind got to thinking... if I pickled them, how wonderful they would be as a garnish for pate! So the ball jars were found, sterilized, dried, and filled with the bottom white part of the ramps. My fragrant brew of pickling liquid was on the stove in no time. Apple cider vinegar was my base to which I added bay leaves, coriander seeds, honey, mustard seeds, sea salt, cloves, a few cinnamon sticks, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and steep for 10 minutes. Taste steep some more and taste again. Perfect! Bring to a boil again and pour into the jars. Once sealed tight, I listened for the lids to pop. Pate will be best friends with the tart and aromatic pickled ramps along with fine French mustard and crusty bread. 





No comments: