Sunday, July 1, 2012

Knee High By 4th Of July




As the saying goes "corn should be knee high by fourth of July", so as we drove through rural Vermont yesterday (pretty much anywhere in VT),  I was checking in on the corn fields and sure
enough, most of what I saw was or will be knee by 4th of July. For the most part, this has been a good year for growing food, so far. This morning I took a good look in on my vegetable garden with hopes of harvesting a healthy lunch. Taking a peaceful stroll enjoying the sight of ripening food and the sound of heat bugs, I dreamt up lunch! Later our plates were filled with broccoli sautéed with parsley, kale, onion, tomato, and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. For dessert I made coconut rice pudding sweetened with maple syrup. Happy July 4th!

In a few days I will pick this beautiful eggplant and make ratatouille.  
Assorted varieties of lettuce are going to be picked soon as they don't like the heat.  

Lunch!
Happily surprised to see this artichoke forming. 


Amish Paste tomatoes make the best tomato paste and sauce.
Soon jars of pesto will fill the freezer. 

Baby arugula 
Swiss Chard takes the place of spinach all summer long. Spinach and I don't get along in the garden. 





No comments: