Tuesday, December 22, 2009

December 23rd-Mexican Chocolate Cookies










My Mexican Chocolate Cookies are rich and dense but soft and brownie like. The cinnamon and chocolate are best friends. The almonds tie all the cookies flavors together. This is a new cookie I developed for my cookie marathon. Mexico and and the fabulous Mexican cuisine has been in my life since I was born. One of the restaurants my father owned was Mason De Lago. Mason, as we called it, was a casual Mexican restaurant in Chicago still remembered by many downtown locals today. Another Mexico tie-in is; I lived in Ziaquatinao, Mexico for 8 months when I was 17 years old. I adore Mexican culture and cuisine. I will be traveling to Mexico in March where I will take some advanced cooking classes and explore. Wish I had more pictures of this cookie for you but we ate them all.

Happy Holiday,
Courtney





















Mexican Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 32

1 stick unsalted butter, sifted
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1. Preheat 350. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until thick, about 5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mix well. Stir in dry ingredients and mix well.

2. Drop batter using a 2 inch scoop, onto parchment lined baking trays, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Press down a bit with the palm of your hand to lightly flatten cookie and then press almonds on top. Chill 30 minutes before baking. Bake about 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on racks.



No comments: