Sunday, August 10, 2014

CCKS After Hours: Two Girls And A Lamb

I would like to introduce you to a new series that we hope will have you laughing as much as we were when these moments/events happened. Welcome to CCKS After Hours
Many more to come...

Two Girls And A Lamb 

By Liz Bernier aka "Liz-tastic'

For our one year anniversary we knew we had to do something big, so we decided on roasting a whole lamb in the back driveway of the store. The hardest part (or so we thought) was finding a local lamb that was around 35 pounds. It took us a 
while, but we finally found a chef friend who was able to get one for us. 

After picking up the lamb, wrestling it into my car and getting it back to the store, we started the process of
prepping the lamb for roasting. When we unwrap the lamb, we realize that it is actually 46 pounds as opposed to the 35 we were expecting, this is problem number 1. We have a roaster from a very generous customer that we have to get the lamb on. First step is getting it on the spit, this proves to be very easy, we are feeling good. Now comes the time to secure it to the spit, here is problem number 2. We decided to use U-bolts for this. We are able to push it mostly through with just our hands, but it will not break all the way through. We need tools. Luckily for us, there is construction going on next door. We head over and ask if they have a hammer that we can borrow, and if they mind if we use it on the inside of a lamb... Speechless, they handed us a hammer. So we get back to work on the U-bolts, securing the lamb to the spit. The bolts are through the lamb, now we need to put the nuts on, time for more tools. At this point the men next door come over to see what we are working on, so there are Courtney and I, elbow deep in the lamb, with 3 carpenters observing. 

Next, we stuff the lamb with wine soaked bread, lemon, and garlic goodness and sew it shut (a surprisingly simple task when compared to the rest), all is good. We put the spit on the rotisserie and turn it on. The lamb moves about an inch, falls back into place and then the spit spins inside, more tools.  We tighten the nuts on the U-bolts as tight as they will go, then we put the lamb back. Moves another inch, then stops. Here is problem number 3. The lamb is too heavy for the motor, the fire is blazing below, and only the bottom of the lamb is cooking. We work for about an hour on this. We have men from next door, the owner of the roaster, as well as other generous customers and friends helping. This thing is so rigged up, there is no way it can fail. It still does. We are lucky enough to have a friend, Cyrus, who volunteered to cook the lamb. He turns it every 15 minutes for about 6 hours (savingthe day and the party), and is rewarded with wine and fresh pita bread along the way. 

Luckily we didn't have a problem eating the lamb, it was so delicious, even more so after all that we had to do to get it ready for the party. The party lasted late into the night, and the lamb was gone long before the lights went out for the night. 

Notice u-bolt package and borrowed hammer 

Cyrus and us

No comments: